TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Tips for Ultimate Genius cutting mats

I am always looking for the best way to use my Cuttlebug when die cutting.  One thing I hate is how warped the cutting plates get and before you know it as I run it through the machine it cracks and breaks.  Of course I never have an extra.  I then go to my Big shot and of course same problem ... warppy plates!  I go on to the Internet and follow all the advise out there on flattening the plates.  In the oven, under hot water etc.  Then of course there are the people who tell you that you are not rotating your plates right.  Jeez.......I just want to cut a die...no wonder I love punches better.  But I cannot get the intricate die cuts that are available from dies so I suffer through it.
Until now...............I had found at Joanns the Ultimate Magnetic Cutting system.
QUICKUTZ We R Memory Keepers Genius Ultimate Magnetic Platform
Its by WRMK and they are self healing cutting mats.  The box says you can use them in ANY machine.  So I thought I 'd give it a try.  They are a bit costly $49.99 but you can find them on sale and use coupons.   At the moment I am in love with these.  So much so that I'm afraid of ruining them or they will become discontinues.  So to extend their life I bought a couple of the Epic Grey Flex cutting mats.

These are quite thin but quite inexpensive.  I use it with my B cutting plate from the Ultimate system and it works great in both my machines.  Though the Cuttlebug does the intricate dies much better.  Now  there is a warping issue with this Epic flex mat but even warped it runs through and cuts the dies with no problem.  I tend to iron my mat when done for the day and it flattens out with a hot iron and firm pressure.  At least they don't crack and I love the self healing aspect.
Now I am not suggesting at all that you need to go get these.  It works for me and I'm happy but I'm sure someone out there will have negative opinions of the product and that's their right.  I just wanted to share what is working for me and also share a pic of my warped mat and then after it is ironed.


Yep that thing just curls right up hahaha.  Its pretty flat now and ready to be put away until the next project.  





I still use the acrylic plates for emboss folders.

Well that's my personal review.  Hope it helps someone else.

HAPPY CARDING

2 comments:

  1. I MUST get these!! How awesome. I have not seen these, but will start looking today, Susan!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome tutorial and great synopsis of these beauties! I have seen them on YouTube but what a wonderful investment and a great cutting system you've created here! I'm with you on the warping. Christmas. yes, DECEMBER, and mine are already a mess! Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete