TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Wednesday, October 11, 2023

CRAFTING AT THE CABIN STANDING TAGS

 Oh so chilly here at the cabin.  The towns are having their Apple and Pumpkin fests and all the farm fields now have huge round bales of hay in them.  We had a pretty rainy day here so I sat and watched some YouTube tag videos.  I came across a woman who was making stand up tags.  Interesting  enough to catch my eye.  Now originally I had no plans of making new tags but instead finish up the ones I already have all the bases and layers cut for.  I have all my embellies  that I made previously so the last time I went home I took a lot of my tool back home.  We are getting ready to close the cabin for the season Sonim thought I'd jump start with things I was finished with.  Then came this video and lo and behold I need a large, like almost 4" large circle die!  Dang it!  Well I tried the trace a bowl and cut system but at my age my hands are not that steady to cut smoothly.   Then I had an "Ah Ha" moment!  Somewhere in the cabinet was one of those old Making Memories circle cutters.  If I'm lucky there will be industry blades!     Old School Won!

Whew!  What a cool tag to use miscellaneous scraps too! No 2 look alike because every one of them are embellished with scraps.  Now these are BIG tags. They definitely make a statement.   "Look at me! I'm a statement tag!"  Lol  they are 4.25 wide and  4.50 tall so one sheet of 8.5x11 will give you 2 tags.  

If you would like to watch the tutorial it is here https://pin.it/7jTbIQH        She uses a die for her base but I did not want to buy one so I came up with this no die version.

Supplies

1 piece 4.25" x 11"  80lb cardstock (lighter weight might be too floppy after embellishing)

1 piece 3.5"  x 3.5"

Twine & embellishments   

Score cardstock at 4.5",  5.5" and 6.5".   Fold in mountain, valley, mountain like photo below.  Then line a template or use a circle cutter on the top edge to create a arch.  Just a slight one and cut.  Find the center and punch a hole for your twine.  I made a grommet using a 5/8ths circle punch that I punched a hole in the middle for added strength.  Its not necessary.  In fact l don't think the original one has grommets but l like the look.  That's it.  Base is done.  Now play!



I know I should be working on all the tags I already have cut out.  Or the cards I prepped at home and brought up here but I'm easily distracted by something new.   And darn Smart Tv's!!!  I would have never been watching YouTube for 2 hours on my tablet but give me a big screen.  Well that's a whole new ball game!

OK focus Suz.....

As I was saying these are pretty easy.  So much so that I made a few.   Just go with it.  Make them as busy or do a K.I.S.S.  as for mine ....I stop when I like how it looks.  Sometimes when I'm working on the next one I'll look over at the last one and add on.

Now like I said these are a bit large 4.25 x 4.5 and I decided to downsize a bit. You can get 3 from a sheet of 8.5 x 11 if you cut the base 3" x  8.5".  Score it at 3.5",  4.25" and 5".  Follow the directions above for the larger tags.  These smaller ones will measure 3" x 3.5" when completed.  They are every bit as cute.  Here's a side by side to show you the size difference.  See super cute.

Funny how a sight measurement change makes such a big difference in the out come of the tag.  I think I really prefer the smaller version and will probably make quite a few more in that size.

It next time...........................





2 comments:

  1. Susan, you are so talented and creative! These tags look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How delightful are these, Susan!! Beautiful work!!

    ReplyDelete