TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Thursday, September 8, 2022

Way late for the 4th of July

 Do you ever fall way behind?  I mean super behind?  So far behind that in reality you should just put it off until next year but you're afraid if you do that you'll forget all about it and never get around to it until you realize you're behind again.  So, that's where I am now.  I had made some crafts that I had all intentions of posting for the 4th of July.  One I'm not even sure if I can find a photo of and the other is this one.  I decided to share it with you anyway even though late so you could get a head start for next year.  Well maybe.  Ok who am I fooling?  Not many people start 4th of July crafts a year early.  I know I sure don't.  

I saw this idea in an email I get daily from Hometalk DIY Ideas .  At least I think that was the email.  I get so many that are similar.  Anyway they have various links for different projects and one was for an Uncle Sam hat made with a 2x4.  Super cute idea  I had decided to make mine out of a scrap piece of 2x8 instead,  The original one had straight sides but I wanted fancy so I had my husband taper the bottom to 6" and then curve the top a bit.  I had some origami paper that had stars and stripes so I decided to first stain the edges of the wood and then decoupage it to the wood.  My husband cut me a brim which I added the star paper to.  Although it had gone on smoothly, by the time it had all dried there were numerous bubbles all over the hat.  I knew I could re-activate the glue by applying heat so I took an iron and tried to iron out the bubbles.  some came out but not all.  I used both of these for a table decoration this year but I wasn't thrilled with the outcome and I'll re-do them next year but the idea is pretty cool.  In fact I think they would make great St Patty's hats too.  Paint them green and sprinkle ALOT of glitter because more is always better LOL



Well I'm off to find my other 4th of July craft photos.  If my next post is something else you'll know the photos are gone and I will definitely have to do a re-do next year.  What's the craft you ask???  A firecracker made from a pool noodle used as beach decor.  Do I have you intrigued?

Til next time......................................................


2 comments:

  1. Susan, these are so pretty! And yes - green for St. Patty's day (with glitter, of course). I think you could also use the same idea for Frosty's hat in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an Uncle Sam collector, so of course, I love these fabulous hats, Susan!!

    ReplyDelete