TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Easy Invites

So good morning!  Its a rainy rainy day here and I have plans to make more tags since its a "stay in" kind of day.  But first lets back up to Tuesday.  I had my dining table all a mess with my paper stuff (I know....I have a craft room but it keeps escaping to the dining room Geez) and there a knock at the door.  Daughter in law walks in to use my paper cutter.  On her side of the family they are trying to plan a double wedding shower and her mother volunteered to make the invites.  Well ends up her mom just handed her a bag from Hobby Lobby and said: "Here I bought this.... can you print something on them?  I just want 5x7 flat postcard like invites."  Boy that's kind of general!  LOL
So my Daughter in law printed 5x7 invites, came over to cut them and then...hated how plain they looked.  So she said HELP!  With no money in the budget.......and thin Hobby Lobby card stock pack in cream I had to get the wheels turning.  PLUS....all 50 invites needed to be done by Wednesday............the next day Wednesday!!!  WHAT???  Oy Vey!
Here's what we started with:
















 We at first thought that maybe we could just stamp a doily in the spaces to make the paper fancier.  It was not a "Bad" idea but it didn't seem enough.  Plus the paper was so...well paper thin and just didn't seem like a quality invite.  My daughter in law so wanted to impress her family with these invites so we had to work harder and I thought we could add a layer by using an emboss folder giving more stability to the card.  So we came up with this:




















Still not exactly what she wanted so she jumped on to Pinterest and found a card with a doily type of gate fold.  Well there was no way we could make "NEW" cards.  Nearly all the paper had already been printed and the layer for the back had all been cut and embossed. (Yes I told her we should just do the cutting and embossing for 1 but....)  So I had this half die doily, and we were able to crank out 100 half's for the 50 cards.  That's alot of cranking!  haahaa.  We put it together by leaving a bit of an edge next to the doily so that it could be slipped in between the embossed layer and the front and then jute for closure.  Here's the final result.

So after 5 hours of cutting, cranking, and embossing oh not to forget inking all the edges and the embossed piece I sent her on her way home to assemble.    All in all I'm pleased with the result.  It might have taken all afternoon to figure this out but when all your given is a pack of cream paper with half of paper used for the print outs you can still come up with a decent looking invite.

That's it for now...........I'm going back to tags!

HAPPY CARDING!







4 comments:

  1. Susan, this invitation is so elegant. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have created a silk purse from a sow's ear, as they say around here, Susan! What a beautiful and elegant wedding invitation they now have after their small HB investment. The brides should be thrilled!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these Susan! I love the Scipio looked at these and the gorgeous scroll work - they have a beautiful Victorian look to them !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow- what a difference with limited supplies too! The invites look amazing! I can see why she came to you : )

    ReplyDelete