TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Egg Painting Trial

 Spring is near!  Though not quite in the air yet.  At least not here in the Northern States.  We are still having chilly weather way below freezing and still getting the snow.  We have also just survived a terrible ice storm that left many in my Village without power for a few days.  This included my son and his family.  The grandkids stayed here with us as well as my son and daughter in law until their power returned.  Unfortunately they lost all their refrigerator/freezer food.  Wouldn't you know it the very next week we had 2 days in the 50's.  So Spring is coming...just in a weird way. 

Anyway it got me wanting to take down Valentines Day decor and put up something Springy.  I sort of combined St Pattys day and Easter together throughout the house but have focused more on Easter lately.  I love decorating eggs.  I have quite a few I have done with various techniques and this time decided to give a try to acrylic paints.  At first I thought of watercoloring the eggs but quickly changed my mind after the first egg.  This is out of my comfort zone as I am not a painter.  Heck I don't even stamp and color cards very often.  It's not my favorite activity.  If I do stamp and color cards I use watercolor pencils as I have not been able to manipulate Copic markers.  I'm a major fail in that category.   So I started with these white craft eggs you can get at Walmart.

 Way to Celebrate Dyeable Easter Egg!Color liquids with white plastic egg! - Walmart.com 

  I also used some plastic eggs I got from the Dollar Tree but they came only 6 in a pack and when I got there they only had gold ones so I do not even know if they ever had white ones.  I bought some gold ones anyway since it was before I had gone to Walmart and I thought the gold ones were my only choice.  These were available on their web site.

Speckled and Solid Gold Easter Eggs in Assorted Colors, 6-ct. Carton | Dollar Tree

 I slightly watered down some inexpensive paints and freehanded on the eggs.  Super simple designs but for my first time I think they turned out ok.  Of course I had to do one egg with a few velum flowers on it too just because it's more my style lol. I haven't finished that one yet. 




The above group of 3 are works in progress.  I needed to have something ready for when I get together with my friends for a day of egg painting.  If I don't show them how they start out they may get discouraged lol just as I did.

Now for the best of the best!  I had my granddaughter over the weekend.  She is 6 and enjoys crafts of any kind as long as it has glue or paint involved.  She noticed my eggs on the table and a few loose eggs laying around there too and asked if we were painting eggs.  Sure!!! Why not!  So "Little Miss Excited" gathered her stuff and began her egg adventure.  I tried showing her how to do a flower, which she did do but her love is for animals and she proceeded to do the rest of her eggs as animals.  She only wanted help with the elephant because she said she's no good with trunks. (neither is her grandma hahaha) The rest of the animals, a Cheeta, a tiger, a giraffe and a dalmatian were all done by her.  I think they turned out great.


Well that's all for now.  I think I'll go paint a few more eggs!

1 comment:

  1. Looking at the pictures and reading your blog post, I can definitely see where your granddaughter gets her creative talent. Not only are her eggs cute (yours, too)... I can just hear the two of you chatting and giggling throughout the painting process.

    ReplyDelete