TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Saturday, October 5, 2019

More Pumpkins

Hello again.  I got some more pictures of the pumpkins I've been infatuated with.  lol.  I wanted to talk a little more on the sewed pumpkin.  First of all any fabric will do.  Don't worry about what the print is as long as it has fall colors it will work.  My fabric choice was some scrap in my bin and in all honesty it was ugly but the colors were right.  Cut a circle about 12 to 14 inches in diameter.   I used a charger plate as a template and ran my rotary cutter around the plate.  I then used crochet thread and sewed a running stitch all along the edge.
 Gently pull the 2 strings forming a ball.  Before it gets too tight stuff it with polyfil.  Then pull string tight closing the hole.  Type a double knot to secure and trim ends.

Then with jute or twine wrap around the ball to form segments of the pumpkin and the off on bottoms.  Add a stick to the top with some hot glue to secure and then add a few leaves and a bow from jute or ribbon.  Either one would look cute.
And voila....ugly material = cute pumpkins. 

I also found these material prints and the pumpkins turned out so cute.  You can also use old flannel shirts.  If you use the sleeves you can get smaller pumpkins.  But if you do choose to use the sleeves remember you need to do a running stitch on both ends of sleeves.  Cut straight across shoulder area and then about 6" down cut again.  On 1 end do running stitch and completely close up the end.   On other end do running stitch as above one, stuff and then close up.  Use jute again for segments and twigs for stem.  You'll soon be making an entire basket full of these.  Try sweaters, socks, etc.  Let your imagination go wild.

Til next time
HAPPY CARDING

2 comments:

  1. I want to try this one- right up my alley : ) Fun and creative decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to show this to my mother!! I think she and her sewing machine would have a ball with these!! Sensational fall project, Susan!!

    ReplyDelete