TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Update Pin in Glue

Remember a while ago I wanted to experiment with pins in glue bottles?  I had no idea if any of mine were stainless steel or not but I did not want to go out to the stores to find some to try.  So instead just thought I'd give the pins I had a try.  2 of the pins were dress making pins.  I had thought one of them could be stainless because who wants rust marks on their fabric?  Then I had found some vintage corsage pins.  Though not stated on the package, surely these should be stainless because they stick into wet plants to be pinned to clothing.
Well??????????????????????
NO... they rusted.  All three pins.  In fact the corsage one was the rustiest!

The middle pin is hard to tell but you can see by the tip of the glue bottle that there was rust forming.  And that one on the far right.......well by golly it was even turning the entire glue yellowish rusty color.  Yikes!

So now what?   Well looking around the house I found 2 more objects that "Might" work.  So the experiment continues.

First on the left is a Turkey lacing skewer.  You know....the ones that come with a little bit of twine to keep the stuffing in?  Don't know if that's stainless.  Now in the picture it looks like it is already discolored but trust me it is just a shadow.  Someday I might actually look into a photo box thing to take my pics in so there are no shadows.
Now I have no clue what these are made of but I do know they are easily available.  And yes I am aware that the tip of the bottle on the left is discolored.  That was from previous experiment.  I didn't think it would make much of a difference.  I mean it's not rust that makes something rust.  So now I sit and wait.

Well I waited 6 days.  The same number of days I waited with the pins.  Hmmmmmm........was pretty sure the ornament hook would rust.  I mean those are so inexpensive and the packaging doesn't really tell you what they are made of.
The turkey skewer?   The packaging also doesn't tell you what they are made of.  I would have assumed stainless since it's put into food you ingest.  So imagine my surprise when I realized that neither of them rusted!  That's right NO RUST!  One little problem though.  The holes in my glue bottles were a bit large so they both fit nicely in my bottles but for those of you who have tiny holes that only a needle would fit in, well these won't work for you.  Unless you make the holes a bit bigger.  Another issue is that the caps cannot be put on with these skewers/ornament hanger in the hole.  Personally I only use something in the hole while I'm working on a project just so the hole doesn't clog between applications.  When it comes time to put the glue away for the day I tap the bottle on the counter so all glue starts flowing to the bottom of the bottle and slide the skewer in and out of the hole to make sure it is clear of glue then I cap it and put it away standing upright. I'm not sure if the glue will dry up with just a pin or skewer in the hole with out a cap but???????  I know during this experiment of 6 days with no cap and the fact that life happened here and the glue bottles did not get their caps again for an additional 18 days, my glue was still fine.


Some people have used glue toppers like what maymay made it has. Seen HERE. They use these instead of the caps which I suppose could work but I have never tried it.  Maybe that's my next experiment...DIY Stopper Toppers?   Hmmm....maybe. 

Til next time...................
HAPPY CARDING

No comments:

Post a Comment