TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Wet Glue Anyone?

Guess you see I have a theme going here.  First glue sticks, now wet glue and yep I may be talking tape runners later.

So many thoughts on wet glue.  First we all have in the past had projects that just would not stick.  Then there is the buckling of the paper.  That in my opinion is the worst problem to have.  Nothing makes a card or scrapbook page look shoddy than wrinkles.  Hmmmm...I must look pretty "shoddy" at my age.  lol

Those of us who make alot of cards or paper projects want to be able to save money somewhere and alot of us look toward the glues we use.  During the school year Elmers school glue is all over the stores and sometimes for less than a dollar a bottle but we all tend to stir away from such glues.  We think because it's not archival it can't be good.  Ok but when I really think about it (and come on lets be perfectly honest) How many cards really need archival glue?  In our (meaning crafters) perfect world every one whom we send a card to would carefully place it in an archival box and keep it forever.  Our children would find the box and skim through the hundreds of hundreds of cards that we have saved and gently place the lid back on to show their grandchildren in the future.  Then generations from now a young adult will be going through boxes and stumble upon these special boxes with cards (a hundred years old) that are very pretty.  They will read some and wonder who these strangers were that sent such pretty cards. (because by then you probably just have to think something and it somehow gets transmitted through the air into the head of the person who was to receive the thought)  Our generations away adults then probably pop the box into the fireplace.  Good kindling!  Oh wait you may be able to start a fire just by thinking of it.  lol  Anyway my point is as much as we hope our cards are kept forever I highly doubt that would happen.  So we should just use glue that sticks and quit worrying about archival.  Yes this is just my opinion and you should do what you feel is acceptable to you.  To me it's just making it stick.  Now I have a totally different opinion when it comes to glue down phots if your into scrapbooking.  There you should use archival glues, tapes etc.

So here are the glues I had down in the craft room.  I did not go out to buy anything new because these are the ones I usually go to.

Ooops the Elmers school glue is hiding behind the 3-in-1.  Sorry.
After 24 hours.  I got side tracked and forgot about my experiment heeheehee.  Squirrel!!!
Finally remembered and took a look.  They all looked fairly flat.  Now it could be because when I applied the glue I used my bone folder to smooth the paper to the paper.  Some oozed out the sides since I sometimes get a bit heavy on the glue.


I was a bit surprised that Glossy accents lifted at the corner with ease but then the rest was pretty tight.  The 2 corners on Scotch Tacky glue and the Elmers school glue both only lifted a tiny bit and might have been due to the way I ran the glue.  Both were super tight otherwise.  Surprising was the Paper Studio and the Dollar tree glues.  Both super inexpensive but held really tight.  Scotch Tacky lifted a tiny bit in the corner as well as Beacon 3 in 1/

About 8 days later I went to check the above sheet to see if all was still stuck and to roll up the card stock to see if the glued pieces would crack and then fall off due to the glue drying out.  Seems like some held up but 2 totally came off.

Well Glossy Accents pulled right off and so did Beacon 3 in 1.  I didn't like those prices anyway lol.  I was really surprised by the Paper Studio one since I originally thought it wouldn't stick at all.  Its what I usually give the kids when I run out of Elmers.  Speaking of which I was also surprised by Elmers.  That stuff really sticks.  Art Glitter pulled up on 1 corner.  My Favorite?  Its a toss up between Paper Studio, Dollar Tree and Scotch Tacky.  But in a pinch I will be grabbing the kids Elmers School glue.

Til next time..........................................................



2 comments:

  1. Your theme is so educational! Thanks for conducting this research for all of us, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see all your results! I use Aleen's Tacky Glue mostly!

    ReplyDelete