TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Friday, May 20, 2022

Envelope Tag Card

 Oh My Gosh May is just a week away!  I have Birthdays, Anniversary's, Mother's Day (oops that passed hahaha) and of course we have to through in Memorial Day.  It is one busy month!!  So to kick off the month of May I'll begin with a Fancy Fold Envelope Card.  I think it could be a birthday card for a young adult or maybe a thank you card or even a thinking of you card.  The trick here is I'm going to use one of those sheets of scrapbook papers that usually get used for the background of a scrapbook page.  Every time I get talked into buying an entire collection or pad of special papers there are sheets that I never ever use.  They get put into a plastic box and I usually forget about them.  The fronts are really pretty but its usually a scene of some sort.  Heartfelt Creations has a lot of beautiful collections but when you buy the pads there is always 1 sheet that is an entire scrapbook background scene.  Now I do sometimes use the reverse sides since they are usually just an all over print but I always hate the fact that the pretty scene is then never seen.  Well I found a way to use at least a portion of the fronts of these types of pages by just getting in there and cutting into them.  So I'm using this G45 sheet from the Fairy Dust collection.


So to decide where I wanted to cut I first decided that I wanted my card to be a 5x7 and I cut a 5x7 template and moved it around the sheet until I found what I wanted.  I then traced around the template and cut it out.  Since I wanted a border around my piece after I had my 5x7 DSP traced and cut, I trimmed it down by a 1/4 inch.  I then cut it diagonally from top left to bottom right.  The one piece would be flipped over and the reverse side would be used for part of the card.

These were then glued onto my base pieces and I then glued my base together.  It is best to use glue when putting together this kind of envelope card since I will be using a removable tag insert for the sentiment.  If a tape runner is used the tape remains sticky and the tag will get caught up on the stickiness.


So something I had wanted to try was using Kryon Diamond Dust spray on the front of the card to give it some sparkle.  I had also heard that you could add some embossing powder immediately after spraying in various spots to add a bit of texture so I thought I'd try that too.  Well I learned 2 things while doing this.  First do it on the Designer paper before you adhere it to your base and second, play around on scrap paper first to see if you like the effect.  As you can see above my designer paper is already on the card and when I first sprayed the first piece (with the fairy on it) I loved it.  I immediately sprinkled some bronze emboss powder on her hair and sprinkled some holographic emboss powder between her and the purple flower on the right.  When I took the heat gun to the paper the intensity of the sparkle from the Krylon seemed to lessen and the glue softened lifting the paper from the card stock in certain areas.  The emboss powder didn't make the  impression I expected either.  So I had re tacked down the designer paper to the card stock and just carried on.

Now I needed to select a cardstock to the inside pull out tag.  A couple of the other G45 collections color match The Fairy collection and I pulled out a few to try and make my decision.  In the photo above.  I had decided to go with the navy sheet.  Loved the look.  Unfortunately the rest of the card did not go together as planned so I decided to just put this one on the side as is and carry on to the next one.  

So I decided to use the same paper since there are a lot of scraps but this time make a mini slimline card.  The finished size of this Envelope card is 3.25 x 6 and is made the same way as the one above.  This time I made it a Birthday card for my granddaughter.  I also did not try the embossing but I did use the Krylon Diamond Dust glitter spray.  This does add such a pretty effect to the card.  I also added a little homemade embellie on the left and a homemade tab pull on the inside card.  I think it turned out pretty cute.


I knew I didn't have to over embellish this card due to the paper and fold that I used but also because she's a teenager.  One who is a big social "Butterfly" involved in everything and barely has time to sit down.  So a complicated card to Oooo and Ahhh is just not her style right now.  She will love the simplicity of this and will put it in her shoe box of cards I am sure but I bet she'll be more interested in the little extra cash to take to the Animee Convention instead LOL.  KIDS!

Well That's it for now.  I'm on a huge adventure of "EMBELLIES".  I have a load of scraps and my punch's are ready.  My previous supply of homemade embellies have dwindled down.  The one used on the above card is one of the last ones I have so it's time to restock.  Do any of you make your own???  It can be a lot of fun.

So til next time..........................................

HAPPY CARDING!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Susan, you certainly are creative! Gorgeous use of those scene sheets of DP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I love these, Susan. And with your stunning papers they are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete