TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Friday, October 21, 2022

Birthday Tag/Card?

October Birthdays are so hard for me to make cards.  I always seem to go straight to it turning into a Thanksgiving card or Halloween card and find myself starting over.  Which is exactly what has happened again.  I had been up at the cabin until earlier when I returned so I could do a craft day with friends.  We all bring a project and mine was cute seed pocket album, which I will share later, done in fall papers.  Well silly me left all my fall papers and scrapes up at the cabin and when I got home I realized I needed a Birthday card pronto for one of the ladies which I would be seeing.  DANG!  NEVER FAILS!  So dug through my stash and tried to find what I could use.   Thought I could dig into and old Wizard of Oz collection and use some of those colors for a fall color vibe with a birthday twist.  Well I kinda of bombed on the card.  To me it looks more Halloweenish.  Hard as I tried, Wizard of Oz just comes out Halloween.  But I had really wanted to use the new cut idea for the front so I went with it anyway.  So I'll start with that one.

It's a 6x6 and I pretty much followed the video from LV Handcrafted for the Crossover Pointy Card using G45 seen HERE  I really should have used one of the more elegant G45 lines but I wanted that Fall vibe and thought this would do it and I didn't have any of the other Halloween lines or the Let it Bee line to get those Fall colors so I used what I had.

Did not work for me.  I'll still give it to her but I then went to plan 2.  I wanted a Birthday card not a Halloween looking Birthday card. The Green and the black for the rosette are both from the Wizard of Oz.  Originally I had the witchs legs cut in a circle for the iddle of the rosette that I glittered but it REALLY looked like Halloween then so I covered it with a homemade flower made from book pages.

 So plan 2 was going for a tag instead.  Should be easier.  Using the same paper line I started my tag.  I cut the base from a cereal box so it could be a large one.  It measured 6 x 8.  I found a cut apart that said Hello Sunshine and I covered the Sunshine with a handmade embellie that said Fall.  On the bottom of the cut apart was something that said "seed packets" which I covered up with some leaves.  The little ticket that said "Friends" I attached to a soda pull top and added some ribbon.  I punched some stamps from some scrap paper and backed them with black hoping they just resembled a postage stamp. I made the paper flower in the corner and glued on a little pumpkin I found.  Some ribbon with leaves edged the center green strip.  I tucked some tulle in by the birthday banner too.  This is a bit better but it still says Fall on it. Where it should have just looked Fallish not "said" Fall.  But I'm running out of time and I'm sure she will not even be as picky as I am.

Hoping you're enjoying the Fall around you.  Crispness in the air.  Pumpkins.  Apple Cider and Hay Rides.


Til next time.............................................................

1 comment:

  1. Susan, I really like both the card and the tag. Such lovely fall vibes.

    ReplyDelete