TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Monday, September 21, 2020

Not a Card but a Pumpkin

 Today I share another type of recycled project but not in card form.  My husband always has scrap wood in the garage from previous projects but unlike me he doesn't like to save for a rainy day.  In fact usually these scraps are burned within a week.  Lucky for me this one piece was buried up against the wall from a firepit chair I had him make for the grandkids.  He actually only got 1 made and I definitely wanted more but I'll have to wait.  Anyway I saw in an email from HomeTalk these adorable pumpkins.  With the one 2x12" board that was about 30"long I was able to get 3 pumpkins.   He also had a piece of 1 x 6" board that we used for the bases.  The ones on line were white washed but I prefer orange and did an "Orange wash" on them and then stained the bases with a very thin layer of black stain.  I also added some fall leaves and raffia to the stems.  The originals just had the stems.  We also rounded our pumpkins.  The originals had 45 degree angles in each corner making them look a bit like little stop signs.  It was cute but I prefer the rounded corners.


Aren't these guys just the cutest???  I love them.  So will my daughter in law.  As much as I love how these turned out I actually already own some carved wooden pumpkins that I put out on my front porch so I really don't need these too.  I just wanted the fun of making them and now I will also have the joy of handing them over to her for her front porch.

Check your garage....these are so simple and can dress up your front porch too.


Till next time








We used a stivck for the stem.  Yep he has a cornor filled with various siz sticks!  For what you ask???  No clue but I got to use one for the pumpkins.  A few dollar store leaves and some raffia and they are done.  

My original idea when I saw these guys was I was going to give them to my Daughter in law for her front porch.  But they are so cute I want to keep them!  No no no I won't!  I mean I already have wooden pumpkins for my front porch and I don't really need more but they are super cute!  I'm sure she is going to love them and it didn't cost me a thing.  Everything was already available right here in my own house and garage.  Love these types of projects.

Now to go through the garage and see if I can find some wood for a scarecrow for the front porch.  Heck I bet I could find enough wood for at least 2 but I better hurry...tomorrow looks like a day he's planning on having a fire in the fire pit.  YIKES!

3 comments:

  1. Your punpkins are so adorable! I love these and so glad you rescued that wood! WHen I look at them, I think of her three kids and how the kids will decided which one is for each one of them! Love that they are all NOT the same! Your write up is so fun to read- and hope you do rescue more wood for a scarecrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, this pumpkins are sooooo cute! I'm sure your DIL squealed when you gave them to her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fabulous trio of jack 'o lanterns is a delight!! What fun for your DD-in-law to have on her front porch this Halloween season! I often wish I had gone into woodworking in earlier times! So much beauty to be found and created there!

    ReplyDelete