TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Disaster ATC gift Re-mastered

 So I'm sure if you saw my last post you saw how I was able to turn my disaster into an OK gift.  Well the design still needed some tweeking and I am not an ATC collector so I worked on a different concept of "Alice's" (you would understand the use of the name Alice from my previous post) original idea.

I decided to turn the album into a "Birthday Date Keeper".  The new album would only have 12 pockets a smidge bit smaller, 1 for each month and a card a tad larger than an ATC would hold the Birthdates of family and friends.  It takes up very little room and can be kept in a corner of your desk or dresser.  For mine I am still in the Shabby Chic mode so it is very similar to the one I just did for the ATC one that I sent off to my friend.


The base I made from super heavy watercolor paper.  It needs to be 11 1/2" long and scored as shown in photo.  Ignore what looks like a score line on far right side of example.  That was a mistake.  Only make your score lines at 1 3/4"....2 7/8"...7 1/4"...and 8 1/4".  Your measurements for the layers are on the photo above

Next up the poctkets:


I used a template for the pocket instead of my scoreboard.  ! reason was I was too lazy to go get it and the other was I just so happened to have had a scrap piece of that heavy watercolor paper on the table that was exactly the size I wanted my pocket to be.  So I just used it.  I cut 12 strips of my Designer cardstock at 3 1/4 x 8 1/2", placed the template in the middle folded in sides then glued sides leaving top and bottom open.  When dried I cut a notch in the tops of all 12 and then ran a line of score tape down the middle of the top and stacked them on top of one an other to form an accordion.


I decorated the exterior very similar to the original and then glued the accordion inside by using wet glue on the front and back envelope that was stuck to the inside cover to keep it sturdy.  A tiny clip keeps the top flap closed.


I think my next plan will be to make more of these Monthly Birthday Keepers and steer away from my traditional shabby chic look.  Though it is my favorite, I know it's not for everyone.

So til next time...................................
HAPPY CARDING!

1 comment: