TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Thursday, March 31, 2022

Happy Mail Pocket turn Journal Page

 So the other day I was thinking about the Happy Mail Pockets I had been posting.  They are definitely cute, easy to fill, fit in a regular envelope and doesn't cost extra postage.  Unless of course you over fill the pockets lol.  My thinking was what could the recipient do with the pocket after they use the embellies that were tucked inside if they used them?  Then it hit me.  One idea would be for people who do Junk journals to use them in their journals.  I guess they could be used in anyone's journal for that matter.  If you knew the person receiving the pocket you could customize it to their liking.  The pocket of course will need a spine and thats what this post is going to be more about.  You can make the length of the spine to fit any size Happy Mail pocket you decide to make but for the sake of this post I have decided to increase the size of the Happy Mail to show how a larger Journal size page would look as well as a smaller one.  Thank goodness I have a Journal so I will be able to place these in my own journal so you can see exactly what it will look like inside the book.  So for the bigger page lets use this pocket example.

The measurements for the larger size base piece will be 5 1/4" x 7 1/2" of double-sided cardstock.  With the main pattern you want visible facing down on score board and the 5 1/4" side at the top of the score board score at 1 1/4".  Rotate (counter clockwise) so 7 1/2" side is at top and score at 6"  Fold at score lines.  For the center piece you will need a piece of coordinating (either single or double-sided) cardstock measuring 5 1/2"x 6" .  Glue up against score line of front side of base only.  Do not glue the top of this piece or center parts for this will create a top pocket later on.   Then glue down the folded flaps only of the base over the center piece at the corners which will create the front side and bottom pocket.  The piece that over hangs on the right can now be folded towards the back of the base to create a back pocket.  glue that only at the top and bottom.  Add embellies and goodies into the pockets.  This pocket is put together exactly like the original seen HERE only bigger.  So take a look at the smaller ones if you'd rather have one a bit smaller.

For the spine to be able to added into a journal you will need a piece of cardstock 1 1/8" x 5 7/8" folded in half.  Place folded edge (with open edge towards center of base) along the back right edge of the base and glue.  I would not use a tape runner since the stickiness tends to stay sticky and may interfere with other pages and even the things you put into the pockets if you use tape runners or score tapes.  Wet glue is best for this entire project.  

After the spine is dried on your pocket the other part of the spine can be placed in the journal either in the middle of the page or even just a bit to the side of the journal crease.  Just make sure the journal is not closed until glue is totally dried.  You might have to place something heavy on top of the spine and journal until the glue is set.





So I'm sure you noticed a change of the sample pocket.  Sorry.  I cleared everything off my dining table for a family dinner we were having and somehow totally miss placed my sample.  So I had to make another one for this post.  Yes the way my brain works I start writing the post as I'm creating so I don't forget anything.  Unfortunately in this case though I didn't forget anything, I did misplace it. AIRHEAD! LOL

Ok now back to the project.  Now that the spine is glued in and dried you can start placing things in your pockets.  I just put some miscellaneous stuff in mine for now just so you could see the pockets filled.



Well thats it for now.  Sorry about the photo switch.

Til next time........................................

HAPPY CARDING!

2 comments:

  1. Susan, you are so creative and patient. I'd never have the skill or patience to make something like this. I am totally impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always impress with your sensational constructions of beautiful papers, Susan!!

    ReplyDelete