TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Friday, April 28, 2023

Birthday Tower Card

Spring is finally here and with Spring comes births.  That being said I have a lot of Birthdays coming up that I am going to be needing cards for.  May is my absolute busiest month of my year.  Of course you all know my love of "Fancy Folds" so it should be of no surprise that this will be another.  Quite awhile ago I did a few tower cards.  Super easy and yet very impressive looking .  Spectacular papers make these simple cards look complicated.

Today I have a little twist on the ones I have done.  At least I think it is.  I for sure now need to go back into my files and see if I've made this one before.  After making so many you sometimes forget what you have made in the past.  Anyway Sam  on Mixed Up Craft recently posted her Tiered Pinwheel Tower card on Facebook.  To me it reminds me of a layered birthday cake.  What could be better than receiving a Birthday card shaped like a cake? 

1st up was for a teenager.  I didn't want to get too cutesy so I just added her favorite butterflies to it.        



And here on one flap I put a solid piece of card stock for signing.


 Next was for a younger child and I decided to add candles and balloons.  How fun is this?Now there's no way I'd mass produce this card with alot of embellies as  it took me forever to assemble.  I could not believe such a simple card could take so long but Oh my...it was so worth it!
Below I give a little tip on making the balloons and candles.

For directions on the basic cuts I suggest you go to Sams YouTube channel :

HERE

So another change I'm making here.  As I proof read my post I went to check my links.  I was pretty sure that Sams channel had a link to her blog (which it does) where you could find written directions for this card.  Well I could not find written directions anywhere.  I don't know about you but one thing that aggravates me is that when I go to a tutorial I love to watch the video but I also like to print out measurements so that  #1:   I can work at my own pace and  #2:   have a hard copy so I can make it again.  So I sat down and wrote out what you would be needing.


Now follow the YouTube video or my pictures (which may be confusing)  Start with the center tower piece scored folded and glued together.  Cut off a sliver on one end to make connection perfect when glued so there is no buckling.  Glue all your pattern pieces to your solids and make 4 rows of 1 of each size as on white paper sheet #2.   Now work on one section at a time on the tower.  Lay tower flat and start on section on your right at the bottom.  Glue on the layers bottom up.



I started with my focal colors first then went to the left panel as in first 2 parts of upper picture the fold tower towards right to next section etc until all 4 sections are covered.  Then as you see in the last picture of the tower there are solid yellow squares on the left.  If you turn your card you will notice smaller solid squares all around.  That is the reason I cut out the smaller pieces of pattern paper in the first photo where I wrote optional.  You do not have to cover those pieces.  I just liked the look of them covered so I gave the measured square nbrs to you.  Before decorated the card will look like this:


The video is probably easier to follow but if you're a seasoned card maker these basic instructions may be good enough.

Now some decorating tips.  I save everything.  I love scraps so of course I scrapped some of the embellies I made for this card and here's how:


I wanted candles and found that the bits of scrap in the With Sympathy dies looked like flames so I made a few flames and then cut a few green candlesticks with scrap green cardstock.  I then wanted a few balloons.  Well I had a tiny fish punch.  So I punched a few fish, slivered sliced some scrap green cardstock for string and made them into balloons.  End result on the card I added a teeny tiny bow that came with a bunny die set I had.  I think it worked just fine.  Added some bling to hide the glue that held down the faux strings and TaDa!

Well I hope you enjoyed this process.  Its not nearly as complicated as I have probably just made it seem.  LOL 

Til next time....................................................................


 Make sure you check out my other Tower/Pinwheel cards 

HERE


2 comments:

  1. This is tower-iffic! I love that fun fold and your detailed tutorial. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Remarkable creation, Susan!!

    ReplyDelete