TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Sunday, April 23, 2023

Springtime Trellis Card

 Spring is finally here.  I think?  Well it was here yesterday. Today it's chilly again.  Mother Nature is so confused but I'm going to plow right out of Winter and hop into Spring.  I was on Facebook a few days ago and a lady named Cmoi-Sylvie Paradis shared her card that was made following a tutorial on Jennifer Mcguires blog for a trellis card.  I thought it was adorable and rushed over there to check it out.  Well me being me I did not have the stamps or dies that were used in the video but again me being me I search my stash and come up with alternatives.  There were 4 different designs for this card and according to the post 3 were 4.25" x 5.5" cards 1 was a business size card and then she repeated one of the designs into a 5x7" card.  

I first followed the directions for the 5x7 card and let me tell you I was not happy with how it turned out.  When I looked at hers it seemed that she had more space between her trellis pieces than I did and yet I know I cut my strips the size she stated.  So I made another card and reduced the size by 1/8" and liked it alot better.

Then I got wishy washy.  I wasn't sure which size I liked so I came to the conclusion that it's all what you feel like at the moment.  Either way they look awesome so decide for yourself the thickness you use.  It's totally up to you and doesn't change the dynamics of the card. This one is the 5x7 and I decided to do it with a patterned background so you could bee where the strips go. I evenly spaced them and then just held them in place with a piece of washi tape while I placed the other side.  Then lift each strip and glue to the top of the strips being held down with tape.  The short top pieces are folded to the back and glued down. When all strips are glued to each other and the top pieces are folded back and glued down you glue to the front of a blank folded 5x7 card.  Excess bottom strips are trimmed off.

I then did the business size card.  I really liked this one.  Probably because I was able to play with my watercolors.  I found a stamp and die set I forgot about with sunflowers and used some pearl watercolor. Love the way the flowers turned out.  I then played with 2 other ways to do the trellis.  

  

  So now for some honesty ........Yes I liked doing these.  Yes I think they were pretty.  Yes they are reasonably easy for a class to do but................... I'm not sure I really like them as a send-able card.  Why?  Well, if you were to write a sentiment on the inside of the card it would all show through the slats of the front of the card and that would look pretty tacky.  If you were to leave the inside blank, it seems kind of silly.  You could glue down the trellis part to the inside part and turn it all into a postcard type card and do all your writing on the back but then displaying the card would be difficult without an easel.  So that's the down side of this card.  I'll have to also say that since I first saw this on Jennifer's Channel I have noticed it is popping up all over the place.  Another fellow card guy I follow UNUnique just published a YouTube video of one he did as a Mothers Day Card.  Very Pretty.  He's also planning 2 more video's on trellis cards.  So apparently these cards are a hit right now.

Until next time..............................................................

2 comments:

  1. Susan, I've seen a few of these trellis cards on social media lately... yours are impressive! So pretty! But I see what you mean about writing a greeting in them. It would ruin the look if that showed. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe all the awesome beauties I have missing in these past few weeks by not checking in on your blog! These are amazing, Susan!!

    ReplyDelete