TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Monday, April 17, 2023

Thinking of You Pop Out

Hello!  It's me!  The Pinterest Surfer Queen!  LOL  I swear I could spend the entire day pinning cards and crafts that I want to make on a daily basis.  This week has been a week of "Surfing" for sure.  I needed to come up with a card idea for my ladies group.  There are 5 of us who gather regularly and this Saturday we are meeting up for a day of card making.  I am the one who usually brings in the "Fancy Folds"  Or the Graphic 45's.  We had all discussed needing more sympathy cards (sad we have reached that age) or thinking of you cards.  Also we had just started to play with watercoloring.  Freehanded style.  We would like to make our own original art work to be able to put on these cards.  So my quest this week was to find something that was Fancy fold, easy, and could have a small piece of our original art on it.  Well I think I found our beginner card.  Its fancy fold, but an easy one and we can make a small ATC size watercolor to put in the middle.  To start with though I am just making this a regular Thinking of you card and if we get to watercoloring on Saturday maybe we will have some special Sympathy cards soon.

This card is just a traditional Pop Out card.  I know they have been around forever.  In fact (though I do not know who the company is) I know that there are dies for this cut and similar cuts available.  As well certain company's sell pre-cut bases too.

This one that I'm doing has no dies and only 2 cuts.  I made the template below.





The solid lines are the cuts the hashs are scores.  The base piece is 5.5" x 8"  . Besides the base I made the entire card using 2 pieces of 12" x 12" designer cardstock.   After you cut and score you just start decorating each section.  To do every section as I did you will need the following:

Front Layers

8 pieces    1- 7/8"  x 1- 1/8"  (for pieces across the top and bottom)

2 pieces    1- 7/8" x 2- 7/8" (for center part on far left and far right of card)

1 pieces     1- 7/8" x 2- 7/8" ( for center pop out part of card front.  This can also be an ATC cut down a bit or an original piece of watercolor art which I am going to try)

2 pieces     3/4"  x 2- 7/8"   (for side pieces of pop out in center of card)


For Back

2 pieces 1- 7/8" x 5- 3/8" (for far left and right sides) I used a solid first

2 pieces 1- 3/4 x 5-1/4" (patterned paper.  Of course this is not necessary)

Have fun playing with different papers.  Here's the 12x12 sheet I used to create this card.  I also cut out 5 more card kits from the same sheet.  Each card is going to look a bit different due to the pattern of this paper.


Here's the front:


and here's the back



I know as you look at the back of the card it looks like there are extra folds on the center panel but I assure you it is not.  They are just shadows  My lighting is not very good.  But isn't this a fun card?  Can you imagine the assortment you can get from scraps?  Oh and what about Christmas?  Oh my goodness I could make a ton of these at Christmas and never get tired of making them since each one would turn out different if you use a 6x6 paper pack.  All papers would coordinate so it would be a win win.  Now I can't wait to tackle Christmas with this fold.

But first...my ladies group tackled this card with the rest of the paper from the above sheet and I thought I'd share their cards with you today too.  How cute are these?



Til next time..........................................

2 comments:

  1. You know that I'm loving this card - and your tutorial. Such a fabulous fold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun is this great fun fold! I am sure it was a fab success at your friends gathering! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete