TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Hap "BEE" Birthday

 Oh I am so finished with winter and mother nature is feeling the same.  Back in the beginning of February our local groundhog "Woodstock Willie" predicted that we would have an early spring and February has been the warmest on record here.  We of course believe in Woodstock Willie here because he makes his appearance every year from the location of the famous movie "Ground Hog Day" with Bill Murray.  It was filmed right here just a wee bit from me and we visit the Square frequently.  So with it feeling like Spring I was excited to bring out this lovely Bee paper I have had for a long time and put it to some use.  Not exactly sure where it all came from but I know a sheet or two came from DCWV 12 x12 pad that I picked up at Joannes maybe 4 no maybe 2 years ago.  I never found the right card to use these papers on until lately.

While cruzing through YouTube I came across Sam Calcott.  Now I do watch alot of her videos for inspiration.  Many of her fancy folds are done with dies that she sells but I tend to like to make my own bases and leave the dies for the embellish pieces.  Well this card did not use dies and seemed rather easy yet looked elegant.  OMG I can't wait to try it on multiple paper lines and seasons but for now I chose Bees and Birthdays.  While I was there I noticed an even easier non-die base card and of course I had to make that one too.  So today I'll be sharing both of them.

This first one is my favorite.  Its a large card.  A 5"x7" when finished.  Its a sturdy card that I used good Bazzille Bling cardstock for the base.  The tinner card stock I do not think would make such a lovely card but that being said....due to the fact that I used heavier cardstock this card will cost extra postage come mail time.  So keep that in mind when you decide what you are going to use.  If the person you give this to like to display your cards for long periods of time I would invest in the heavier cardstock.




This is call a Double D card.  You will be needing 12 x 12 sheets of solid cardstock for the base of this card.  Now I will admit I have yet to figure out why it is called a Double D card unless it's because of the 2 square panels on the front.  When you look down upon the open card it does not look like a D at all in fact it's more of a diamond shape but it is what Sam called it.  I really love this card.


Next up is the Vertical stepper card.  You will also need 12 x 12 paper for the base of this card.  I am showing you 2 samples of this card.  One I made with thinner Bazzille paper that I bought from Hobby Lobby and the other with a much thicker Bazzille Bling paper to show how it looks sturdier.  I know...I know...slight difference but I am picky and if its humid out or the card is on display for a period of time it does make a difference.  Again it is your decision.  Of course now looking at the picture you really can't tell the difference but trust me.  My husband picked up the yellow one and said "why is this one so floppy?"  Plus believe it or not both of these cards are EXACTLY the same size even though the one on the left looks smaller.  It is the tighter cardstock.  The yellow is so thin that it just stretches out.  if pushed closer together it falls over.  But if it's for a child who will probably toss it or someone who you know does not usually display your hard work, go ahead and use the Hobby Lobby stuff.  But if your anal like me or if your receiver displays your work use the best you can get.



  Now I did use a bigger piece for the center on the left card so it's easy to get different looks with the same design just by changing the center size.  The finished size of this one is a 6"x6"and as you know square cards require extra postage so be aware of that too.

Now about that BEE.  Funny story about the BEE's on my cards.  I had this Bee die I was going to use.  Finished card #1 and cut the Bee out.  OMG!!!!  SCARY!!!!!  This was the freakiest thing I had ever seen!  There was no way I could put it on such a beautiful card.  So BAM off to Amazon to find a quick Bee die for immediate delivery.  As you can see I found an adorable little guy and used him instead but.......would you like to see what could have been?  Of course you would LOL.    READY?????

I KNOW RIGHT????  SCARY!!!!    Now who's idea was this?  This had to be made by a group of Halloween lovers!  This die was from a set that I had used before.  It had other things that were really cute.  I just never made the Bee before.  The set was from Paper Wishes Hot off the Press Paper Artist cutting dies.



See the Bee in the lower left corner?  He doesn't look awful there! LOL.  Well that's the story of the Bee that almost made it to a card.

Til next time...................................................................................................


Sams Double D

Sams Vertical Stepper


1 comment:

  1. LOL! Yes, that bee is a bit scary, Susan! Your cards, on the other hand, are quite pretty!

    ReplyDelete