TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Thursday, May 23, 2019

IT'S A POTTER THING

How I wish Blogger had a Harry Potter Font.  Wouldn't that be cool to see a post in that font?  Well maybe.  LOL
My granddaughter is obsessed with Harry Potter as is my Daughter in law. My granddaughter has read 3 of the books so far and as she finishes a book she is then able to see the movie pertaining to the book she just read.  Great incentive idea that my daughter in law came up with.  I for one have never read 1 single Harry Potter book nor have I seen a single Harry Potter movie.  So what possessed me to try and make a Harry Potter interactive album for my Granddaughter?  Hysterical how many times I had to call my daughter in law and ask "What the heck does this mean?"  But I got though it and yesterday she finally got it for her birthday and absolutely loved it!  So here it is.
The book is 6x9.  I was able to find a die and paper pad that went with the dies from Create and Craft.  How lucky was that?  So I was able to die cut out Harry and the Owl (yep forgot the name of the owl already!  lol) and under them I used the die to cut out a few more pieces from plain cardstock to give them more dimension.  I looked everywhere for the Words Harry Potter and never found any.  Then............I had bought one of those Tie Blanket Kits (Harry Potter of course) and right there on the packaging were the words so I fussy cut it out.  TaDa!!  Lucky me.  LOL  Basic Gray was the paper I used for the front to which I used glitter Mod Podge on top for some glitz.
On the inside cover I added a pocket and slipped in bookmarks along with a little recipe card for Butterbeer Cheesecake.  Did not realize there were so many Butterbeer recipes on line.  I confess I do not even know why or how Butterbeer is related in the books.  On the spine I added a page which has a pocket containing a diploma, a card on wand motions and a wand permit. at the top of that page is a top pocket that has the ribbons hanging out of it and it contains the Hogwarts map and of course the recipe for Butterbeer.  Which I guess is more like cream soda with caramel and butter extract in it and then topped with whipped cream and more caramel.  Sounds weird to me but Tori loves it and that's what counts right?
On the flip side of the previous page on the spine is another type of pocket that contains another bookmark and the Platform 9 3/4 boarding pass.  The spine on the right has no pull outs except on top from the ribbon which has another recipe card.  On the far right I made a pocket that I decided to try and make it look like a shelf.  I kind of failed at that but the pocket is still cute and to go with the card "A book is a dream you hold in your hands"  I made 2 little books the burlap one is actually a book of spells that I printed out from on line freebies and the tiny book next to it I made into just a little note book.  Saw a tutorial on line and it was so easy to  make.  I smudged up alot of the papers with a distress pad from Tim Holtz in walnut.
When you flip open the page from last picture that has the 9 3/4 on it you see this.  The center is a tag accordion to which I just adhered papers and cut aparts that I matted.  A few of the tags have pockets with matted cut aparts inside.  On the Right is another pocket that I filled with Hogwarts School application, Hogwarts Report Card, tickets, and a news paper article about Dumbledorf (no clue who he is heeheehee. But Tori does.).
And this is the back.  The "Always" apparently has some sort of meaning at the end of the book series and my Daughter in law said it should be placed on the back of the book I was making.  So I just did as I was told.  OMG  I am so laughing at myself.  How did I ever get this done???  Surely not without alot of input about meanings from my daughter in law.  I guess Harry still doesn't interest me because after spending months designing and assembling I do not remember a thing she told me!

The paper pack I used was Color Play Wizard World which I got from a friend.  All the cutouts and matting was used from this collection. The main book cover and inside spine pages were done with Basic Gray collection.

I know this was long but I wanted to try and show you everything.  Hope you enjoyed it.

Til next time

HAPPY CARDING



3 comments:

  1. Wow- this is absolutely AMAZING!!! I have not read the books either, but have been in the presence of the kids when they watched a movie- so I get the train pass, know who some of the characters are. WOW!!! Fabulous result of all of your hard work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Va Va Va VOOM! You are such a masterful crafter, Susan! Oh how Tori must have LOVED this - and you have so many fun elements from the movie in here! I hope you can manage to find (or invent!) the Harry Potter font! maybe google 9 3/4 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Harry Potter loving granddaughter would think she had died and gone to heaven if she received such awesomeness on her birthday!! What a remarkable creation, Susan!! I love every perfectly picked and placed element of this magnificent creation!!

    ReplyDelete