TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Sunday, December 20, 2020

Tags for the Wee Ones

 I don't know about all of you but when my little grand children open presents on Christmas Day the last thing they are doing is Oooo'ing and Ahhh'ing the beautiful tags on the gifts.  In fact One is lucky if they even take the time to read the tag.  lol  The youngest is now 4 and she has no interest in the tag.  All she wants to know is "Is this mine?"  Her brother now 9 is a "Counter"  Does not care what the tags look like or whose name is one it just as long as he and his sisters get the exact same number of gifts and he makes sure everyone has one in front of them before they open it so all is fair.  The eldest is 12,  you would think she'd be interest in Ama's (me) tags since during the year she helps me make cards and tags for birthdays but nope no interest at all.  So why spend time and energy creating beautiful elaborate tags that will most likely be torn while an anxious child opens a gift?  No one wants that stress on Christmas so I make super simple, I don't care if they're tossed tags.  For those who know me you know I love making tags probably more so than cards and I can get carried away.  So simple is a challenge for me though I know I can do it.  My only problem is I look at them when done and think geeze sooo boring.  But here's what I do.

I use the most inexpensive card stock I can find.  Freebies from friends is best but when I have to buy it I usually get the Recollection brand from Michaels when on sale.  Then at the end of the season they usually have these 6x6 paper pads on clearance too so I pick up what ever they have left.  I don't care what it is I just grab and go.  Last year it was these three.


Now I'm not a scrapbooker so these pads always have sheets that I usually can't use for cards.  Those are the ones I pull out for the tags.


Ooops when I went through the pads I found that the middle pad Happy Pawlidays was actually doublesided so though 1 side I couldn't use the other I could.  But the other 2 pads had these larger design sheets that are actually meant for scrapbook pages so I cut them up for the tags.

All together I'm working with 9 6x6 sheets.  I cut my first set of tags 2.5 x 4 and scored at 2 to make a folded 2 x 2.5 tag. The layer of the above papers were cut 1.75 x 2.25.  I got 16 of these and then carried on to another style since I get bored quickly lol.

Second set were 2.75 x 4 with layers of 2.5 x 3.75.  Very minium embellies.  I was able to whip out 32 of these.  I made both sets while watching the evening Television thats how quickly they went.  I just sat there with a glue stick and glued away!


This was the year I was suppose to show my daughter-in-law and niece-in-law and sister how to ake tags using nearly zero supplies and 1 6x6 paper pack but due to Covid that didn't happen.  I am hoping next year will be different.


Til next time............................

HAPPY CARDING!

3 comments:

  1. You are the queen of tags! I am a middle child, and like your Grandson, always thinking of fairness- a middle child 'trait' ! As a Mom of grown kids, I focus more on $$$ I spend on each one. Love your tags- when my kids were younger, I put nimbers on them and kept a list hidden...that cut down on pre-snooping : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! When you make tags, you really make tags! Lots of them and each one very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these tiny tags for your Christmas gifts for the kids!! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete