TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Friday, February 26, 2021

HAPPY MAIL BOX

 Wow can you believe February is about over?  Why is it that we have to have such a short month?  Wouldn't it make more sense to take a few of those 31st days and apply them to February?  I always feel like its a gypped month.  LOL.  Anyway a while ago I mentioned that I had my husband make a HAPPY MAIL BOX for our grandkids.  With this pandemic we don't get to see them much especially since we have a high risk son living with us.  Plus the kids are remote schooling for this year.  I wanted them to have something fun and have something fun for me too.  SO I came up with this "Secret" Happy Mail routine.  It is very very random.  Not always the same stuff is put inside the box.  But first let me tell you about the box.  It is very very simple.  My hubsand built it to my design and I painted it and added a heart and the words Happy Mail.  My son then nailed it to the house on the front porch near the front door.  I then seek over there in the evenings and slip little things into the box and text my son "Ding Dong Mail Drop" and he goes through the routine of telling the kids he thinks he heard someone on the porch and the kids run out to find Happy Mail in the box.

I started with individual cards with words of encouragement pertaining to each child and then taped a roll of life savers to the envelope.  Problem with first Happy Mail drop was that the 4 year old ripped open the 12 year olds card because she couldn't read and just assumed it was for her.  So I decided I needed to be more generic.  Example another drop was when it was super cold and I placed a tag on each pack of hot cocoa that said "time to warm up".  Or another time a card that said "Hmmm Happy Mail can Be Happy Meals too" and gave them each money for McDonalds.  I've dropped in Valentines and small little crafts that I've printed off the internet like Harry Potter bookmarkers you can color.  Needless to day it has been a huge hit. Today it was just a card with a Kit Kat candy Bar in it.  It has been so much fun making these super simple porch drops for the kids.  It helps brighten their day and it's helping me to not miss them quite so much. Here are the cards from today.  


Well that's all for now so 

Til next time........................................................

HAPPY CARDING!

2 comments:

  1. Susan, I can just hear the excitement when "Dad" says he thinks he heard something on the porch - and the dash to see what's there. How fun! You have earned the award for happy ray-of-sunshine-in-the-midst-of-a-pandemic grandparent award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the best grandma EVER, Susan!! What delightful childhood memories you have created for your precious grandchildren!! They will never forget the joy and excitement you made them feel!

    ReplyDelete