TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Saturday, June 27, 2020

Glue Stick Dilemma

Gosh...glue sticks!  Some love them some hate them and others want to try but don't know where to go.  So I thought I'd try a comparison of a few.  There are a ton of Glue sticks out there.  I decided to start with the easy to get ones and only do a couple at a time.  So for today it's 2 different Elmers, Dollar tree, American Craft, Scotch and Pioneer.
I am gluing 60# Recollection card stock to 60# Recollection card stock.  All of these glued down easily but the Elmers School glue one was very soft and got a bit messy on the sides.
Although you can't see it I also swiped the glue stick next to each gray piece to see what it looks like when dried on the cardstock.
After waiting 12 hours I decided to see if the pieces were still tightly glued.  So here's those results.




I was a bit surprised that the Dollar Tree and American Craft glues seemed to be the strongest in the 12 hour test.  Scotch and Elmers Craft bond were equal in 2nd place where I picked at the corners and they lifted slightly.  Elmers School glue also held up pretty well.   It surprised me that the glue intended for photo adhesion was the least sticky.  I was able to pick up part of the corner without much effort.  I also bent the red card stock to see if I would break up the dried glue causing the gray to lift more but it didn't.

Also on the sides where I swiped the glue I noticed all of them left some sort of shine after it dried.  The Elmers School stick was also a bit bumpy probably due to the fact that the glue was much softer in the stick  and even with a gentle touch alot smeared on the paper.

Now I'm sure every one is more interested in a long term hold.  So I decided to put the paper away for a couple of days and re-check.  Yep this post was first started on June 16th 2020.  So here it is June 27 and all of the samples are still stuck down pretty well even after I played with the paper trying to lift the samples off the paper.
The Scotch and American Crafts held the best with Dollar tree coming in second.  The other 3 started peeling 12 hrs after they were glued so I guess I won't be using those.  I will probably stick (no pun intended) to the Scotch brand since it is so easy for me to find it out here but I will also keep in my stash Dollar tree glue sticks and American Craft if I can find them.

Til next time..........................................







1 comment:

  1. Well look at you - with your scientific research. Impressive, Susan!

    ReplyDelete