TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Communion for a little boy

I struggle with religious cards.  Maybe it's because I just don't know what really works.  Kind of like a sympathy card.  I think sometimes they are to florally or too plain or to busy.  I just never get it right in my opinion.  So now I need a communion card for my grandson.  He was to receive his first communion on Easter Sunday.  We had planned a party for him just as we did for his sister 4 years ago.  He picked out the suit he wanted to wear and even committed to regular shoes vs sneakers.  Then comes the let down.  After all the CCD classes, the party prep, the cloths shopping...we have to break it to him that nothing is going to be happening.  Poor guys was crushed.  To try and ease the disappointment we asked family member's to make him a card with congrats to let him know we are proud of his hard work and assured him the event will happen as soon as this Covid thing is over.  To be honest I don't think I made my granddaughter a card so when I realized I had to make one and for a boy I thought great...now what am I going to make?  Plus I need to use what I have.  Uggghhh.

Well I really liked the fold of the card I used in my Random Act of Kindness so I started there.  Picked blue and white since blue is his favorite color (ok he really has 2 faves but red didn't seem right for the card). 

I made the cross.  Not hard to glue 2 pieces of paper together lol.  It looked too plain so I ran it through an embossing folder.  Mmmmmm....much better.  There was still alot of empty space and the only thing I could think of was to use the cross picks I found for cupcakes.  Break off the sticks end and I think it works.  I just can't seem to not bling a card somewhere.  So I used sequins instead of rhinestones hoping it makes it a little less girly.  Ehhh....well I tried.  He liked it anyway.  Or maybe he liked it for the bit of cash I stuck behind the cross.  lol

Til next time........................
HAPPY CARDING

3 comments:

  1. Wow, $$$ or not, this is stunning!!! Love your pics too- perfect accents on this card!!! And, the embossing on the cross adds such beautiful texture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry your grandson's first communion wasn't a bit like what he (and those who love him) had planned... so difficult to have these casualties of Covid-19. I am glad you made him an extra special card, though. He'll treasure it I am certain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great card for your grandson who will get to celebrate his first communion soon with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete