TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Monday, January 13, 2020

Barn Door Card

So way before Christmas a friend of mine handed me a die set she had.  This die set was just in a baggie with a few sheets of directions.  Well let me tell you, I read through it and thought "Ha no way I'm taking the time to figure this out."Well my friend asked about it again in late fall and truth be told I said I hadn't even looked at it but I could return it to her.  To my dismay she said she could wait.  Well she sure had to wait a long time since I have just now gotten the bag out and started to re-read everything.  Directions were not easy to follow so I tried to re-write it as I went along.

First of all this is the Stampin up die called the Barn Door.  She did not provide me with any stamps that apparently came with the bundle.  I'm not even sure if she has the stamps.  So I grabbed some scrap cardstock and went through the steps.

My finished card is pretty shabby.  I put the washers on before embossing the layer so I sponged it instead due to the fact that I used the same color for the base of the card as the layer.  Then I adhered the door before putting sentiment layer on.  Then I put the rollers on top before I put the rail on.  Just 1 mistake after another.  In my defense the directions had you all over the place.
So with re-written directions I cut all the pieces needed and made packets for our ladies group to try out the card.
And here we go
The one on the left is my original screw up.  lol  The right one I had used my new re-written directions and those still used the same color base and 1st layer I at least embossed that layer.  The door is more centered too.  Response from the ladies?  Well I guess they are easy to please because altho I still didn't like the card they all did.  There's no accounting for taste...heeheehee Just kidding.  

All in all I do not like the card.  Washers are so heavy, using cardstock made washers didn't slide right and those little rollers and handles were so tiny I kept loosing them and had to keep re-cutting .  Too frustrating for me.  I mush prefer my fancy folds or some of my other card dies to this one but I gave it a try.  So often we only blog about the success of the cards we made.  The ease.  But this time I thought I'd let you know not all cards work out for you.  This one didn't for me.

Turns out she did not have the matching stamp set and did not get it from Stampin Up but instead got it online from China somewhere.  She is thrilled with the new directions I gave here as well as a demo during our regular card making session.  That's all that matters right?  She's happy so I'm happy.   Shhhhhhhh....I still don't like the card.

Til next time

HAPPY CARDING!

3 comments:

  1. Susan! Shut the front door! (or barn door?) I LOVE THIS! I remember when SU! came out with this style card, I was sorry to miss the boat on the class on HOW to make it, lol! I love this - it's beautifully done. I want one of these in my house (hear my husband's dubious laughter right ...about ... now!) after seeing it on Joanna Gaines show. Maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, your card is so fun. I've always wanted a farm door in my home... I think they are so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the barn door look, but if you were frustrated, I know I would be pulling my hair out by the fists-full!! I'll just have to enjoy looking!

    ReplyDelete