TIPS AND TECHNIQUES

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Shabby Chic-ish Easter Gatefold card

Good morning.  It's a rainy day here but spring is trying to arrive and I'm trying to be more springy in my creations.  I am such a huge fan of Shabby Chic.  Decor, cards, tags, etc.  So it is easy for me to put together some cards with that theme.  I think that's why I love G45 paper lines and Authentique.  Both remind me of days gone by where you use alot of lace and buttons and bows.  So for todays card I decided on a gatefold.  I am not using a particular line of papers but instead dug through some scraps.  Nothing says "Shabby" like scraps.  lol  I love the color combination of Purple and green.  Always reminds me of Easter and I love making real and by real I mean extremely "Shabby" flowers.  The ones on this card are incredibly easy to make. 
First lets look at the card shall we?
 Here it is opened:
This card is full of layers.  The wreath greenery is a die that is actually a Christmas one but so much layering is over it that you can't really tell that it has holly leaves on it.  Instead your eyes go to those strange looking flowers.  So how did I make them?  I used 3 different size punches.  A  2" scallop, a 1.5" scallop, and a 3/4" scallop.  If you don't have the punches just use a set of scallop nesting dies and use the 3 smallest ones.  Each flower is only 1 scallop circle.  Punch (diecut) the circle...soak in some water to soften the paper then while wet lay it flat on the table and using your finger tips squish the edges to the center.  Squish a few times.  Its never too much...never to little.  No 2 circles will look the same which is what makes it Shabby Chic.
   
 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                                                                                                                                                                     I then place them on a paper towel and let them dry over night.  Do they need the whole night?  Heck no but it's the way I work.  I do all my flowers at night so that by morning I am ready to start fresh with the next step.  After they are all dry its time to bling them up.   For these I used a paint brush and some Twinkle paints for a glittered look.  But you could use some glue and sprinkle some tiny beads or dry glitter.  You can use solid card stock or printed card stock to make the flowers.  Its all up to you.  I love making these.

Well I hope you enjoyed this card.  Til next time......................

HAPPY CARDING

2 comments:

  1. Susan, this card is so luscious! Love the rich elements, the gorgeous design, and your flair for fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving those awesome blossoms, Susan!! What a glorious Easter design with that wonderful vintage image and that swag of gorgeous flowers!!

    ReplyDelete